Here is a sampling of some of my published reviews and commentary that are available online:
OffBeat (music, cuisine and culture of New Orleans and Louisiana):
- Various Artists, This May Be My Last Time Singing: Raw African-American Gospel on 45 RPM 1957-1982
- The Dukes of Dixieland and the Oak Ridge Boys, When Country Meets Dixie
- Various Artists, Aimer Et Perdre: To Love & To Lose Songs 1917-1934
- Tom Piazza, Devil Sent the Rain: Music and Writing in Desperate America
- And many more; see my author archive at OffBeat.
The SunBreak (news and culture in Seattle, Washington):
- With His Regards For Everyone: Levon Helm Remembered
- Home Is Where You Put Your Fingers: McCoy Tyner, All These Years Later
- Graphic Novel Presents the Green River Killer in Black and White
- Mirror, Mirror…Know Thyself!
- And many more; see my author archive at The SunBreak.
Village Voice (the nation’s first and largest alternative newsweekly):
- Q&A: Howler’s Jordan Gatesmith On New York Crowds, Power Napping, And Dreaming Of Uncle Jesse
- Q&A: Nick Tosches On The Dullness Of The Forthcoming Apocalypse, And Other Topics
- Q&A: Kate Miller-Heidke On Jerry Springer, Williamsburg Snootiness, And Getting Courage From Ben Folds
- Q&A: Darlene Love On Her Wig Collection, Her Pentecostal Past, And Phil Spector
San Diego Reader (news and culture in San Diego, California):
- Athens Concert, by Charles Lloyd and Maria Farantouri
- Erasure’s Tomorrow’s World
- Boo Boo Davis’s Undercover Blues
- Ray Charles: Rare Genius: The Undiscovered Masters
- And many more; see my author archive at the San Diego Reader.
Northwest Asian Weekly (the only weekly English-edition newspaper serving Washington’s Asian community):
- Complex characters illuminate A Simple Life
- Subtle storytelling and a love story color the The Lady
- Not a film, but a triumph
- Understanding passion and perfection through Jiro Dreams of Sushi
- And many more; see my author archive at Northwest Asian Weekly.
Other publications/websites I’ve written for include The Seattle Weekly, The Stranger, Neo Magazine, Moviemaker Magazine, Resonance Magazine, Goldmine, Westwind, The Oly Review of Books, The Urban Spelunker, Hubcap, Addicted to Noise, E! (The Entertainment Channel), Pandemonium Online, ENSO Audio (Discover Music), and Microsoft’s Seattle Sidewalk.